Sunday, August 24, 2008

Mosquitoes are invading



I don't know about you, but the mosquitoes around my house seem to have multiplied and gained weight in the last few weeks. Earlier in the summer, I was bothered by a few flying pests, but lately, it seems I can hear them flying into my sliding glass door (only a slight exaggeration...)

For those of you who have been to my house in the last year, you know I have a new patio that I have been enjoying on a daily basis. I have lots of plants growing, some fun/funky furniture, and lots of privacy. Except for the uninvited mosquitoes. THEY ARE EVERYWHERE. So, at the suggestion of my friend Thomas, I started researching natural, earth friendly solutions to rid my sanctuary of these pesky invaders. Even late in August, I'm not opposed to adding some new plants to my garden. Here's what I've found so far, in my effort to ward off the beasts:

Catnip...this is 10 TIMES more effective than DEET. Did you know that?

Rosemary...one of my FAVORITE herbs...I have some growing in a pot now.

Horsemint...this has a scent similar to citronella. Ya either love it, or hate it. (I hate it)

Marigolds
...ANYONE can grow these annuals. They also keep aphids away. Double bonus!

Ageratum...the coumarin in the plant is the odor that mosquitoes DO NOT LIKE. It's used in the perfume industry, and also in some commercial mosquito repellents. I just read that you shouldn't rub the leaves on your skin though...I guess gardening gloves are in order here...

Last, but not least...

Mosquito Plants...actually there are 2 kinds. One is agastache cana, and hummingbirds love it (bonus!). The second kind is a member of the geranium family, that has similar properties to citronella.

Now, please realize that just by have these plants sitting around in pots, or in the earth, you're not going to reap the benefits. The mosquitoes are turned off by the smell, so you'll need to crush a few leaves between your fingers, to release the aroma. Now I have a reason for my fingers smelling like rosemary!

If you have other tried and true natural mosquito repellents, let me know!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

From friend Thomas, thank you for doing the research! I truly hope to see new plants in your garden next season and I hope you encourage each of your neibourghs to plant something from the list. Who knows, if we each take steps to plant we may help to create a no fly by mosquito’ zone. This is great information! While we’re on the subject of mosquitoes just what purpose do thy serve in the environment? Give me one reason to appreciate them…