Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Organic Gardening products

Tonight I stumbled (actually I was searching) on a great site that offers natural and organic gardening products.

Earlier this week I noticed that something (not me) had eaten LARGE portions of my giant coleus. Now, these leaves are huge (8+ "), so something must have been really, really hungry. I'm not sure why they (it?) has waited until mid August to attack, but they have. In searching for a solution to keep the giant leaves giant, I found Fertile Garden: http://www.fertilegarden.com.

I've used Safer's Insecticidal Soap before, but don't have any on hand. I'll head to Family Tree Nursery tomorrow to stock up. You can buy it here.

As I was searching for the coleus killer solution, I found Dry Molasses. It is used to feed and stimulate microorganisms and is a source of carbon, sulfur, and potash. It can also be used in the soil to remove fire ants. What do you know...something that will remove fire ants! Many years ago I lived in the Houston area, and had my first introduction to fire ants...the hard way. They are appropriately named. I remember my neighbor telling me that if I get bit (more likely, attacked), I should take Adolf's meat tenderizer and vinegar and make a paste, and then slather it on the bite(s). Unfortunately, Adolf's meat tenderizer wasn't anything I had in my pantry the first time I got attacked. I don't remember if I ever had to use this potion, but I'm sure the grocery stores in the area sold a ton of Adolf's!

Getting back to the Dry Molasses...for those of you in areas where fire ants reside, check out the Dry Molasses stuff. It might just get those ants scurrying for your neighbors yard. Just tell them about the Adolf's first.

No comments: