Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Recycling my closet...

How many times have you gone through your closet and said, “I don’t have anything to wear?”

One basic idea in recycling is to reuse, right? I know I’m guilty of keeping clothes hanging in my closet way too long. What’s too long? That’s up to you. Many “experts” say if you haven’t worn something in 12 months, it’s time to remove it from your closet.

Recently, I packed for a weeklong trip to New Mexico and Colorado. I needed mostly casual clothes, but also one outfit for a wedding. With a closet (actually more than 1 closet) full of clothes, I had to do laundry before I packed. I couldn’t leave without 2 of my favorite summer blouses, right? (I chose to ignore the dozens that were clean, and hanging in my closet…)
I’ve done it. There have been times when I can’t add another article of clothing to my bulging closet, full of items I don’t wear, and then I do it...I go buy more. I’m sure not practicing what I preach here…

One of the best ideas I’ve learned about recycling is the idea that when it comes to our attention that we are in possession of items we are no longer putting to use, pass them on. I love the idea of knowing that someone who couldn’t afford a new outfit it is wearing something of mine that no longer fits me (or I just grew tired of). The other part of that positive thought is that piece of clothing is no longer taking up space and collecting dust in my closet!

Why have items that we no longer have any use for taking up precious space in our lives? It feels great to have extra room in my closet. It took me a while, but that was one of the best things I ever did for myself: cleaning out my closet. Don’t get me wrong; I know I still have too much “stuff”. This is an ongoing process…the more I get rid of, the more I WANT to get rid of. I pass them on and that feels really good.

Do yourself a favor, go through your closet, find what you’re no longer wearing and pass it on. There are numerous organizations where your unwanted items will be put to good use.

You probably have your favorite charities you donate to. One that I use is Big Brothers, Big Sisters. It’s a great cause, and they will come to your house to pick up the goodies! Check them out here.

To read reviews of different charity organizations, check this out:

http://www.charitynavigator.org
/

1 comment:

Pancake Queen said...

Yes, agreed! I normally "review" my wardrobe once every 6 months. I give away some to my younger cousins, and also some to the charity.