Saturday, July 12, 2008

Checking out the local organic markets

Last night I had decided to check out the local, organic farmers markets in the Kansas City area. I'd been to the one in Brookside, but not recently. There is also one on Red Bridge.

It was raining this morning...a perfect morning to sleep in. Instead, I was out the door by 8:15, heading to the KC Organics and Naturals Market located at Minor Park, just East of Holmes on Red Bridge Road (111th Street). It wasn't raining yet on that side of town, but I only stopped for a few minutes, since there were only 5-6 vendors. I bought some great looking zucchini squash.

Next was Brookside. I wanted to get there a bit later, after a few of the stores had opened. I was early, but did browse through The New Dime Store. It's such a unique store! By this time, the rain was coming down, so my trip through the Brookside Farmer's market across the street was fairly quick. I did pick up some beets (I LOVE roasted beets), tomatoes, and some flax seed bread.

For some reason, I was inspired to make my favorite meat loaf recipe, from The New Basics Cookbook. (Market Street Meat Loaf). It's full of veggies, and the recipe calls for both beef and pork (but I use ground turkey in place of the beef, and yogurt in place of the half and half). So, my next stop was Whole Foods to pick up the rest of the ingredients.

The farmer's markets are a treat. It's fun to people-watch, and talk to the vendors/farmers. Don't forget your reusable bag. Check these out.

No comments: