Saturday, July 5, 2008

Saving gas

Last week I signed up on Bridging the Gaps site to do "5 Green Things". One of the things is to "Drive Smoothly". I've tried to make a game out of it, by seeing how far I can coast, (without endangering myself or other drivers). Tonight, thanks to a fairly decent sized hill, I was able to go between 2 stop lights without stepping on the accelerator. Yep, I got a few odd looks, but no honks or obscene gestures. I think I've mastered going the last 2-3 blocks to get to my house, without stepping on the gas.

Here's Bridging the Gap's description:

How

Drive as if you have no breaks – that means no sudden stops and starts. Accelerate gently and read the road ahead to avoid unnecessary braking. Write yourself a small note on the steering wheel or dashboard to remind yourself.

Why

This is a free way to reduce your gasoline use and money spent at the pump while reducing the greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions of your car or truck, which make up one third of all American GHG emissions.

Sign up here. Make your pledge to do 5 Green Things.

Click here to learn about running a car using water, on Hydrogen Car Network.

No comments: