Thursday, July 17, 2008

Daily tip from idealbite.com

I just got home from my first "greendrinks" meeting tonight. It's a social group that focuses on environmental issues. It was a great meeting, and I'll take time to write about it in the next day or 2 (it's late, and I'm beat). In the meantime, I thought I'd share the daily tip from idealbite.com:


Quoth the Raven, "How long does trash last in landfills?"

The Bite
Evermore. Like something out of a creepy poem, even biodegradable items like food can hang around in garbage dumps for years. Trash is packed so tightly that it doesn't always get the necessary light, oxygen, and/or microorganisms it needs to decompose, so truly, we implore: Reduce, reuse, and recycle when you can. Ca-caw!

The Benefits
  • A future that's not all midnight-dreary. Researchers have found (perfectly compostable) 25-year-old corncobs and grapes, and (easily recyclable) 50-year-old newspapers that are still readable in landfills. The less waste we toss, the fewer mummified remains will hang around in dumps.

Mona here. If you want to read more (and I hope you do), check out their website at www.idealbite.com. Bite sized ideas for green living.

Enjoy!
.

No comments: