Friday, July 4, 2008

Reusable bags

I stopped at Whole Foods yesterday. They had a big sign out front that said: "We'll pay you $.10 per bag to turn around and get your reusable shopping bag from your car!" I was proud to say that I already had 3 in my hand. (I purchased 2 of them from reusablebags.com). I love their website, their mission, and the way they conduct business.

Last month I attended a bridal shower of a dear friend's daughter. My goal was to buy something that had NO packaging, and then gift wrap it with material that could all be re-purposed or re-used. It was a no-brainer that I would use a cloth shopping bag as the wrap (I used kitchen twine to tie a bow.) The bride-to-be loved the Heavyweight Hemp/Organic Cotton Grocery Bag.

My favorites are the Reisenthel - Mini Maxi Shopper, Long Handle bags. I have several colors, but my favorite is the polka-dot one. I bought it this summer in Seattle, and wish I had a few more, in different colors, but haven't been able to find them on-line. Has anyone seen them?

For those of you who still use the plastic bags from grocery stores, department stores, take-out restaurants, and a gazillion other places...please recycle your bags. Wal-mart and Whole Foods both have a great bag recycling program.

No comments: